Model. Not actual patient.
The Benefits of a Breast Lift
Over the last twenty years, the popularity of breast lift surgery, also known as mastopexy, has surged by 108%. It far outpaces nearly every other cosmetic breast enhancement procedure available today.
The most common benefits of a breast lift include:
- A younger-looking overall silhouette
- An improvement in the orientation of the breasts, making them appear lifted, supported, and contoured
- Perkier breasts that require less support
- Enhanced nipple projection (in other words, the nipple will also look more youthful as it will point forward, rather than downward)
- Less or no more irritation and inflammation beneath the breasts or in the fold of the breast
- A long term boost to your confidence and self-esteem
The primary purpose of a breast lift is to make you look more youthful. But it’s not uncommon for our patients to report that they feel a little younger and energetic, too.
It’s not just the aesthetic changes to the breast that make this procedure popular. It’s the chance to rejuvenate your appearance and reclaim your youth!
A breast lift is often performed on its own, but this procedure can also be implemented in conjunction with other breast enhancement surgeries, such as breast augmentation and breast reduction.
The Breast Lift Surgery
The procedure itself typically requires a couple of hours, after which you’ll stay for a while in our recovery room under the observation of your surgeon and dedicated nurse before being allowed to return home for the rest of your recuperation.
There are three common incision techniques used for breast lift:
- "Donut" incision: This technique is the least invasive of the three options and is ideal for a minor lift. Two circular incisions are made around the outside of the areola, removing the excess skin between.
- “Lollipop” incision: Also known as the vertical scar keyhole incision, a circular incision around the areola and then down towards the fold of the breast is made. (The closed incision looks like a lollipop, hence the name.) This incision type allows for a good deal of flexibility but also limits the size of the incision. It's suitable for minor to moderate sagging.
- Vertical incision: When greater flexibility is needed to remove and reorient tissue, the vertical incision is used. This incision goes around the areola, down to the fold of the breast, and then out horizontally in both directions within the fold. The resulting scar takes on an anchor shape.
The right incision for you will depend on how much excess skin must be removed and the extent of internal repositioning that needs to be performed in order to achieve a natural looking result.
Once the incision is made, tissues are removed and modified to lift and support the breast. In some cases, this may involve adding internal sutures for added structure. In other cases, the tissues are simply repositioned in order to provide added lift. The goal of this repositioning is to create a rounder shape that has more upper pole fullness.
The nipple and areola can also be repositioned to better accommodate the new orientation of the breast. If desired, enlarged areolas can be reduced in size by eliminating excess skin.
Every step of your breast lift procedure is designed to minimize blood loss throughout the process. This helps control pain levels, minimize the risk of infection, and reduce swelling once your procedure is complete.
Breast Lift FAQ
A breast lift in Tennessee varies in price. These factors are considered when determining price:
- surgeon's fees
- anesthesiologist's fees
- type of breast lift
- nursing team fees
- surgical facility fees
- pre- and post-op appointment fees
- post-op garments
It can range from $6500 and upward to over $10,000. You can receive a quote for surgery at the time of your consultation. The quote often includes a breakdown of the fees, so you can get a better understanding of what you'll be paying for.
The exact steps taken during a breast lift depends on the unique goals of the patient. However, it typically involves the creation of one or more incisions, though which tissue is removed to reshape the breast. The tissue removed can be fat, skin or glandular tissue. Sutures may be placed to provide extra support. The incisions are then closed and dressed.
Incisions may be made around the areola, vertically down from the areola to the breast fold, and horizontally within the breast fold.
Typically, tissue is removed during a breast lift. This can cause a decrease in breast size, however the decrease is usually insignificant. If a more dramatic lift is desired, then more tissue may be removed. Usually, however, there isn't much change in cup size.
A bra worn throughout the day and night can help, however sagging is an inevitable part of aging. Sagging can't be prevented, but you can help slow it down by wearing a supportive garment.
The results of a breast lift are long lasting, but you should know they aren't permanent. Aging, weight fluctuations, pregnancy and the natural effects of gravity all work together to pull down the breasts. While the majority of patients are happy with the results of a single breast lift, you can help maintain your results by leading a healthy lifestyle, wearing a supportive bra and staying at a stable weight.
A breast lift can be performed at any age. If you're unhappy with your breast shape because of their lack of perkiness, and are:
- generally healthy
- not pregnant or breastfeeding
- have realistic expectations of the procedure
- are at a stable and healthy weight
...then you may be a candidate.
Breast development continues throughout a women's life, but a significant part of growth occurs up until the early 20s. For this reason, younger women may want to wait until after this time before considering a breast lift.
Saggy breasts can be caused a variety of factors, including:
- weight fluctations
- pregnancy and breastfeeding
Any cosmetic breast surgery, including a breast lift, comes with the risk of changes in nipple sensation. This can be in the form of increased or decreased sensitivity and numbness. Most of our patients, however, do not experience any changes in sensation.
Your breast lift results will be tailor made to look natural and beautiful for your body. You’ll notice your transformation right after your procedure, and those initial results will continue to improve as you heal and recover. Once that recovery is complete, you’ll be able to enjoy a whole new silhouette and revel in your new sense of confidence and security!
Talk to us. We're here for you.
You want to be happy with your appearance. Why wait to make it reality? Simply fill in the form with your details and we will help you make it happen! If you'd like to talk to us directly instead, please call 931-381-2802 to chat with one of our friendly patient care representatives.
1601 Hatcher Ln.
Columbia, TN 38401